Thursday, January 7, 2010

ANZAC Day

A freind of mine recently expressed a dislike of the anzac day ceremony. I agreed with him but we wern't entirely sure why, This allowed us to be shouted down. For my part I finally worked out what it was that bothered me so much. ANZAC day is nothing more than a day reserved on the calander to try and make us feel guilty about being alive. Allow me to explain

I realised that during the various ceremionies the people orchestrating it PARTICULARY during Anzac day (rememberance day has a similar problem however it is less pronounced. I'm also inclined to be nice to rememberence day mainly because I feel we do need to remember all the people who died if only to be sure we don't make such a stupid mistake ever again) is based around the sacrifice of australian troops and how they died to keep us alive.

This has several effects. It enforces the idea that sacrificing oneself for ones country is a good thing (I would just like to point out that its NOT if you must sacrifice yourself for an ideal, choose a better one than simply a country). It also tells us that to waste our lives is to waste there sacrifice and that we should also sacrifice ourselves because they did and it would be cowardly and selfish to not. 

Thats all I think please feel free to ask me for clarification I just wanted to get that down.

No comments:

Post a Comment